This page provides a quick overview of what our feasibility study achieved, with links to more detailed explanations.


In silico

We modelled cellulose degradation and how it is affected by enzyme synergy. We analysed the advantages and disadvantages of our various approaches.

We also modelled phage replication, and artificial selection as applied to bacteria expressing cellulases.

See our Modelling page for more.

In the lab

We pioneered the use of the RFC 81 protocol, "BioSandwich" to assemble DNA parts.

We successfully created new β-glucosidase and amylase BioBricks and proved that they work.

We produced fusions of INP to other proteins, and found evidence that they could fold correctly and be successfully carried to the outer membrane.

See our Data page for more.

In society

We produced a design for a "biorefinery" that would implement our Synthetic Biology in an industrial setting. We analysed the economics of such a plant.

Furthermore, we considered the broader social implications of creating such biorefineries; and we interviewed participants in the debate surrounding Synthetic Biology to help us form our opinions. We then analysed those interviews.

See our Human Practices page for more.


We collaborated with another iGEM team and helped them solve a problem they were having with a BioBrick. We also provided them with details of how to assay for that part's activity.

We created a Wiki Watch page that attempted to convey the very basics of what every other team in the competition was doing. Early in the summer, this page was linked from the official iGEM Community page, and we hope it has helped other teams find partners for cooperation.

We updated the Registry with information on our experiences using several old parts. In one case (BBa_J33207) we produced a new version that may be of interest to other teams.

See our Collaboration page for more.