We created new E.coli which hunts and eats insects. As such we named it Carnivorous E.coli. Carnivorous E.coli emits light when it is hungry. This will attract insects to it. Then, it secretes a viscous substance to capture the insects. The captured insects are digested by the chitinase in the secretion. Long story short, our Carnivorous E.coli can hunt!
- We confirmed that the wavelength of light emitted by E.coli is suitable to lure drosophilas.
- We constructed new biobrick which produces chitinase.
- We constructed new biobrick that is controlled by the concentration of glutamine.
- We established new method for measurement of promoter activity with RPU.
- We held the Japanese iGEM meeting at Kyoto University.
As synthetic biology is a comparatively new way of understanding life, we plan to develop this area much further. However, this area entails problems of bioethics and so we must consider these problems as well. Unfortunately, Japanese high school students do not have many chances to come across these topics. We hope to offer high school students more opportunities to think on them. That's why we targeted them and performed these activities.