Team:Kyoto/human practice/Introduce HS Division
Assist high school division
In order to assist future iGEMer ,we founded the department which is for iGEM HS division in september.
Komatsu and Nobeyama became point man of this project, then we started to accept question about iGEM, synthetic biology, how to experiment, and so on.
Actually we receive several questions from high school students and answered their questions.
- Question1 「When should we begin to prepare for iGEM?」
- Answer1 「If you want to join iGEM, you should... 」
- Question2 「How many time do you spare your time for iGEM?」
- Answer2 「How many time you spare depends on what you do. Usually it takes a participator more than half a day in IGEM everyday. That is a lot of time ,isn't it ? But If you want to succeed in your project, you will have to spend a lot of time on experiments.And it is fun!」
- Question3 「iGEM looks difficult. Can beginners participate in iGEM?」
- Answer3 「Yes! Everyone can participate in IGEM as long as he/she is interested in synthetic biology. Of course experiments are not easy, so if you do not have much knowledge about it, you have to learn hard. We recommend you take some biology lectures and get help from teachers and other skillful students. 」
- Question4 「We don't have sufficient equipment, so what should we do? 」
- Answer4 「We recommend you rent college facilities in the neighborhood? In addition, we send an e-mail to iGEM for check whether the rule is caught in the coordination」
According to questions and answers as previously described, there are a lot of problems we should solve.
In order to succeed in our purpose, increasing the participants,we must clear up these things.
This is why we decide to set up project for iGEMer who is high school students.
We will try to do these things as below.
We teach how to conduct several experiments ,for example conduct transformation or electrophoresis.
Team iGEM Kyoto will work as a mediator like iGEM Jaopan which encourage them to contact each other.
"iGEM High School Division"internet: http://igem.org/High_School_Division[Nov.5.2011]